Seems that nowadays everyone and their brother is jumping on the blogging bandwagon. Just a few short years ago, blogs were a fairly new way to carve out a presence on the internet, but since then the market has become saturated with blogs on every topic you can imagine, and some you don’t even want to think about.
If you’re lucky enough to create a strong presence and build up a following, you can make decent money as a blogger.
But the effectiveness of blogging to make extra money or as a work-at-home strategy is only as effective as your time management skills. After all, if your whole life becomes consumed with blogging, you might find you have nothing left to blog about.
- Create an At-Home Work Schedule and Stick to It. Those who are serious about making money at home with blogging must ditch the “I’ll get to it when I can” mentality. Treat your blog like a business; create a daily work schedule and stick to it.
- Capitalize on Coherence. It makes no sense to start blogging at 6am if your mind doesn’t wake up until 10am. If you have to start working at 6am, tend to some of the behind-the-scenes tasks that contribute toward blogging. Respond to comments or emails, or research your topic for the day.
- Plan and Research Ahead of Time. There’s nothing worse than sitting down to blog and finding that you have no idea what to write about. This problem is easily solved and can help you avoid countless wasted hours. Make a blog topic list and keep it on your desk. Every time an idea pops into your mind, add it to the list.
- Improve Your Technical Skills. If you think faster than you type, it’s going to slow you down. A lack of technical or computer skills is a huge hindrance with this line of work. A typing, HTML or SEO class can be a blogging business investment that pays you back in spades.
- Dangle That Carrot. We all need a little extrinsic motivation once in a while. On days where you find yourself in a rut and dragging your heels, dangle a little “carrot” in front of your nose to urge yourself on. Rewarding yourself at the end of the work day with a favorite meal, movie, or outing with friends can be just the ticket to encourage you to be more productive.
Time management skills, or lack thereof, will have a direct effect on the success of your blog. Use these tips to become more efficient so you can concentrate on the task of blogging with greater quality and frequency to build your audience. Don’t worry; managing your time wisely isn’t about following the rigid office mindset you wish to avoid! It’s about not wasting time on other things, resulting in you being hunched over the keyboard trying to crank out your blog entry at 10pm while everyone else enjoys life. Time management allows you to engage in life’s adventures, ultimately giving you more to blog about.
Image Courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net