For a long time Microsoft’s hold on the PC market gave IE a decided advantage and thus all of my clients had IE optimized websites.
Today we’re seeing another company, Google, being looked at for anti-trust issues and Google+ is a big part of that.
Whether or not Google is ultimately “punished” for its actions is to me irrelevant. What matters to me right now is knowing and understanding the situation and dealing with that situation as it exists.
Folks, right now the situation is simple. Traditional search engine optimization may not be quite dead yet … but it’s going to die pretty fast. At this point, search is social and social is search. The death of traditional “seo”, or search engine optimization is upon us.
What matters now to getting good search rankings is “social involvement” and “social sharing” most of all.
Now let me be clear about something, I am not saying that it’s important for you to be sharing socially (though that would help). What matters is that you and your company are engaged socially AND that the content you produce is being shared socially.
At this point, sites that get lots of +1s to their content will trounce their competition … and the number of links won’t really matter. Websites that are getting tweeted and liked are going to murder everyone else in the market place and the mountains of money spent on “seo experts” won’t matter one bit.
In fact, Google is really throwing down the gauntlet. People and companies that actually go out and make themselves market experts through information sharing are going to be gaining search and social popularity while those that just want to sit back with relatively static ecommerce websites are going to be crushed.
All Businesses Are In The Information Business
The plain and simple fact of the matter is that no matter what you sell, you’re actually in the information/education business. Your job is to educate and inform your customers why they should do business with you. More to the point, people and companies that are viewed as experts in the market can actually charge more than their competition, and therefore enjoy better profit margins, simply because people will pay a premium to work with the best.
This means that despite the advent of Facebook and Google+, blogging is here to stay.
It is from your blog that you can post great content of interest to your market. From there, you can use Facebook, Google+, and Twitter to share that content out.
Understand something, with +1s being considered more important in many ways by Google than inbound links, that means you can provide actual incentives for people giving you that +1 vote and thereby catapult past your competition in the search engines.
Not only that, but at the end of the day Google is not really that good of a source of traffic.
Traffic from Google+, Facebook, and Twitter on the other hand are GREAT sources of traffic. Traffic from those places are much more likely to buy from you without price shopping.
Not only that, but once you are creating great content that is being widely shared socially, you are no longer subject to the vagaries of Google updates which as we all know can sometimes cause massive reordering of the search results. That means you won’t have to wake up one morning and find that your once great search positions have vanished and now you suddenly have zero traffic.
Instead, by creating content and getting it to be shared out, you’re obtaining traffic from a growing number of sources and in ways that the Google search engine couldn’t stop if it tried.
That is why I’m calling the end to traditional search engine optimization.
Yeah, Great, But How Do You Actually Do It?
The process is actually fairly easy.
1) Find out what problems, difficulties, wants, and desires that your market has
2) Create some great content that explains how to solve the problem, overcome the difficulty, or fulfill the wants and desires.
3) Put that content on your blog and link to it from Facebook and Google+
4) Go to fiverr.com and for only $5 buy some +1s and some Facebook likes
5) Get your friends to +1 and like your content. ALSO get them to add your Facebook Page and your Google+ Page to their circles
6) Ask every customer to +1 AND add you to their circles (or like your Facebook Page) … give them a discount as an incentive. This way as you create information it get automatically spread out. A quick word of advice, give a much bigger discount for adding your page to their Google+ circles than for doing the Facebook like. The reason is that the G+ will also give you search benefits.
7) Take every piece of content and create a video of you just talking it out and post to YouTube. In the very beginning of the description, link to your G+ Page (more help with the search engines) and tell people in every video about the incentive that you give if people add you to their G+ circles.
8 ) Periodically run some kind of sale or special promotion open ONLY to G+ people. Now notice how heavily I’m favoring Google+ here. Like I said, the situation is such that the more you can get people to use that, the more likely you are to also be heavily favored/ranked in Google searches as well.
9) After a while you will create a pretty significant body of content that you will have produced. Take that, give it to a virtual assistant (Pam Drayton has a great article on Virtual Assistants here on opportunities planet), and have your “VA” turn it into a book and place that on Amazon in both print and kindle formats. Now that you’ve “written the book” this will expand your authority presence in your market and likely cause a dramatic increase in the amount of sharing that you see of your other content, thus helping you even more. I do have a special report on how to partner with Amazon on my blog, click here now to get it.
Only Two Kinds Of Businesses
The changes with Google and making G+ an integral part of search is quickly going to cause business to be split into two categories. There will be those businesses that have made themselves experts in the market by creating content that is heavily shared; and because of that they are succeeding wildly.
Then there will be the businesses that struggle.
Which kind of business do you want to have?
To learn more about how you can get more traffic by having more people in your Google plus circles read this article written by Kostas Chiotis about the new Search plus Your World of google…